Opening doors: Celebrating city’s music, heritage - Hamilton City Magazine Skip to main content
Celebrating all things Hamilton / Welcome Message
City Life

Opening doors: Celebrating city’s music, heritage

Doors Open Hamilton – May 4 and 5 – will feature a music theme and 49 sites and four walking tours across the city. 

Forty-nine sites will throw open their doors for a weekend in May to celebrate Hamilton’s architectural and musical past and present.

Doors Open Hamilton celebrated food in 2023 and will highlight music this year. The event will feature music venues, schools, churches and live music walking tours in Stoney Creek, Waterdown, Westdale and on Locke Street, with many sites offering concerts, talks and other events.

"Enter museums at no charge. Take historical walking tours led by local historians. Discover old buildings that are examples of adaptive reuse or new buildings made for music," reads a Doors Open Hamilton press release.

Highlights include: tours of the LIVElab at McMaster University that uses a 106-seat research theatre to study the effects of music on the human psyche; the Gursikh Sangat Hamilton, a Sikh temple that will be having chanted prayers throughout the day; and the 188-year-old Stewart Memorial Church where an all-Black choir will be performing on May 4 at 12:30 p.m. They will sing spirituals that travelled with the original congregation up the Underground Railway to freedom in Hamilton.

The LIVElab at McMaster University is one of the stops for this year's Doors Open Hamilton happening May 5 and 5. PHOTO: SUBMITTED

Participants can take part in free dance classes at the Hamilton City Ballet.

Theatre Aquarius will feature a tour of its building, including costume and set shops. Other featured sites include the Music Hall at New Vision United Church, the Rock on Locke, the storied Grant Avenue Studio, Memorial Arts Centre in Ancaster, and legendary local venues such as the Coach and Lantern and the Corktown.

The Hamilton region event is among 25 in-person Doors Open events across Ontario held from April to October. Doors Open in an initiative of The Ontario Heritage Trust and hosted by the Hamilton region branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario.

Doors Open Hamilton is among the largest in the province. More than 12,000 people attended 35 sites last year and organizers are expecting 20,000 this year. 

“Doors Open connects people with their built environment,” says Shannon Kyles, a longtime professor of architectural history, who is leading the Hamilton event. 

“It’s a wonderful opportunity to break down unconscious barriers to buildings. The whole point is to open doors to places people might not have seen before. It’s about place-building and being part of communities.”

Kyles says other benefits of Doors Open is that it is a free, family-oriented event and it introduces newcomers to their community. 

“It’s our built community, no matter how long you’ve lived in the city.”

Doors Open Hamilton will be held May 4 and 5 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

The East Flamborough Township Hall at 25 Mill St. in Waterdown is a masterpiece of adaptive reuse. PHOTO: SUBMITTED

A full list of Doors Open Hamilton sites


Auchmar Manor House - 1852
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Auchmar Estate is considered to be the last surviving country estate on Hamilton Mountain.
It was built for the Honourable Isaac Buchanan, a local Scotsman, entrepreneur, politician and
civic leader in 19th-century Canada. Visit this Gothic revival manor house and learn about its
storied past before strolling the walled and landscaped grounds that surround it. No parking on

Balfour House - 1836
Adaptive reuses: Residence, conference centre
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
Balfour House is Hamilton’s last great escarpment estate. Several prominent Hamiltonians have
called it home since 1836, most recently the family of St. Clair Balfour. Owned by the Ontario
Heritage Trust and managed by the City of Hamilton, the building and garden are spectacular.
Exhibits related to the commitment to music of the Southam family will be on display.

Central Presbyterian - 1908
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.); Organ recitals both days 1 p.m.
The present Central Presbyterian Church was designed by John Lyle and opened on June 14,
1908, replacing an earlier church destroyed by fire. Lyle was responsible for Toronto's Royal
Alexandra Theatre and Union Station as well as the Thomas B. McQuesten High Level Bridge,
Gage Park fountain and several homes in Hamilton. Central is the only church that Lyle designed,
and is unusual in having a flat roof resembling more the public buildings favoured by the École des
Beaux-Arts than the traditional European church. Central has one of the largest and finest Casavant
organs in Hamilton.

Church of Saint John the Evangelist (Anglican) - 1892
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Church of St. John the Evangelist opened in 1892. The adjacent Hannah Public School was
purchased in 1906, and it continued as the parish hall until it was destroyed by fire in 1990.
Drawn to service, the congregation decided to build an affordable housing complex on the site
with the parish hall below. Today, the church has a thriving connection to music both in the
church and community.

The Cotton Factory - 1900
Adaptive reuses: Factory, creative arts centre
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Imperial Cotton Factory, built in 1900, has been repurposed as the largest creative hub in the
Hamilton area. This year's Doors Open Hamilton is also the Cotton Factory's 10th anniversary
and it will be a party! Always a popular location, the focus this year will be on music,
celebrating 10 years (WOW!), and showcasing the complex and all its incredible tenants.

Dundurn Castle - 1835
Adaptive reuses: Residence¸ museum
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Dundurn Castle is one of the finest examples of high Regency-style architecture in the country.
Constructed in the 1830s for Sir Allan Napier MacNab (railway magnate, lawyer and politician),
the buildings deteriorated under subsequent owners, but were restored in the 1960s to their
original splendour. Today, Dundurn Castle tells the story of the MacNabs and the people who
served them.

Germania Club
Adaptive reuse: Residence, social club
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The original Victorian residence was built in the 1800s and purchased by the club in 1952 and
was used for meetings and small gatherings. In 1955, a large balconied dance hall with stage
was added to the rear of the building. The 1960 addition enclosed most of the original
building and added much needed space for the growing club.

Grant Avenue Studio - 1909
Adaptive reuses: Residential, commercial
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The elegant Edwardian Gable and Bay at 38 Grant Ave. was transformed by Dan Lanois, Bob
Lanois and Bob Doidge into the world renowned recording venue Grant Avenue Studio. The
two-storey box bay facade with stained glass windows has welcomed artists from Gordon Lightfoot
and Stan Rogers to U2 and Johnny Cash. This is adaptive reuse at its finest.

Halo Music - 1973
Recording Studio
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Halo is a one-of-a-kind recording studio offering professional audio engineering services in
the heart of downtown Hamilton. Its custom-built live room offers great tone and the perfect
vibes for creating great projects. The control room boasts the perfect listening
environment, featuring a world renowned SSL console that has recorded the likes of Bruce
Springsteen and Kanye West to name a few.

Hamilton Archives for HWDSB - 1988
School and archives
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Hamilton Wentworth District School Board Archives contain record and memorabilia of
almost 350 former and current Hamilton region schools. The volunteers and staff of the
archives will be compiling photos, record and possibly videos of the music presented at high
schools in the area.

Hamilton Military Museum - 1835
Adaptive reuses: Residence, museum
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Located on the grounds of Dundurn National Historic Site, this museum preserves and shares the
military history of Hamilton and area through exhibits, programs and events. The building,
originally constructed as a gate house for Dundurn Castle in the late 1830s, was first known as
Battery Lodge, being located on the site of a War of 1812 artillery emplacement.

Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology National Historic Site - 1859
Adaptive reuses: Waterworks, museum
Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology is the site of the original 1859 Hamilton
Waterworks. The museum features two 13.7-metre high (45 feet), 70-ton steam-powered
pumping engines that supplied the city with clean drinking water from 1859 to 1910. Made in
Dundas, these engines are the oldest surviving examples of their kind in North America today.

Hamilton Theatre Inc. - 1920
Adaptive reuses: Apartment building, theatre
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Starting in the 1950s, Hamilton Theatre Inc. has developed into a strong, community-oriented,
entertainment centre and training ground for would-be musical performers. Some performers
have gone on to achieve success in the professional world of theatre, movies and television. The
location of the group has changed from being an old fire station to, now, a renovated apartment

Lister Block - 1924
Commercial block
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Lister Block features a two-level, L-shaped interior shopping arcade and distinctive terracotta
and brick façade. It is one of Hamilton's first multi-purpose commercial office/retail buildings. Built
in 1923, it was restored in 2012. Join architect-led tours both days (every hour from 10:30 a.m.
to 2:30 p.m.) and explore a Tourism Hamilton presentation inside.

LIVElab, McMaster - 2014
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
LIVELab is an innovative concert hall with a virtual acoustic system, advancing research on
human interaction and music's impact on health. It explores applications like assisting
Parkinson's patients, improving music listening for the hard of hearing and enhancing creativity
in performances. Able to monitor physiological responses in up to 100 people simultaneously, it
is acclaimed as a national treasure for its unique contributions to understanding the power of
music. Register for a tour here.

McNab Presbyterian - 1854
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
It is not clear which architect designed MacNab Street Presbyterian, but it's possible it was Albert
Hills or William Thomas. Many notable persons attended McNab, including Isaac Buchanan and
the McQuesten family. The stone pillars and beautiful stained glass windows are highlights. Music
and casavant organ music have been shared with the community for years.

Players' Guild - 1878
Adaptive reuses: Residence, theatre
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
An 1876 murder … the killer hanged … rumours of a ghost. Historical facts or backdrop for great
theatre? The Players’ Guild of Hamilton has been a leader in the local community theatre scene
since 1875, making it North America’s oldest community theatre group. Enjoy guided tours and
a cash bar (alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages) at this beautifully restored Victorian
Italianate gem.

St. Lawrence the Martyr Roman Catholic Church - 1890
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
Built in 1890, St. Lawrence is designed in the Romanesque style. With its open plan,
stained-glass windows, interior artwork, 1908 Casavant Frères pipe organ and 7.6-metre-high
(25-foot) Carrera marble altar, St. Lawrence is a treasure in Hamilton’s North End. Join the
congregation as it celebrates its 133rd anniversary this year. Tea, coffee, juice and homemade
sweets and snacks will be available.

Saint Mark’s Centre - 1877
Adaptive reuses: Place of worship, community hub
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
As an Anglican church, St. Mark’s served the community for over 100 years before closing
in 1989. Now owned by the City of Hamilton, the site has undergone extensive restoration,
preserving the heritage character of the building and park, while adding modern services,
gardens and accessibility. It now has new life as a a community arts and cultural programming

The Staircase - 1914
Adaptive reuses: Hydro station, theatre/coffee shop
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Staircase Theatre has been a multi-purpose arts incubator for decades. Site of the former
Hamilton Hydro Dundurn substation, the 1914 building combines large windows, decorative brick,
a large overhanging cornice complete with dentil blocks, and an impressive beaux arts portico.
Relay Coffee Roasters provides a friendly café atmosphere, and the various performing spaces
house every type of entertainment.

Stewart Memorial Church - 1848
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) Concert by the Stewart memorial Church Choir at 12:30 p.m.
Originally the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the Stewart Memorial Church today boasts
the longest surviving predominately Black congregation in Hamilton. The interior is designated
historical for its original pressed tin ceiling and dark wooden curved pews. The Stewart
Memorial choir sings spirituals passed down from the original congregation that sang them along
the Underground Railroad. You can hear them on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

The Playhouse - 1914
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
Built in 1914 as a vaudeville theatre, this distinctive beaux-arts building was designed by Stewart
& Witton. After 76 years, the theatre closed in August 1990. In 2018, the building underwent an
award-winning heritage restoration, and reopened as an independent art-house cinema with new
state-of-the art cinema amenities.

The Westdale - 1935
Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Westdale was the first theatre in Hamilton built expressly to show motion pictures. It was
a key building in Westdale , the first planned neighbourhood in Canada. The beautifully restored
Art Deco building was fully restored in 2017 by the Westdale Cinema Group. It is a community-based
cinematic, cultural and economic hub for Westdale Village, featuring music and film.

Theatrix Costume House - 1920
Adaptive reuses: Gospel hall/church, commercial
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Theatrix Costume House is found in an Edwardian Gable Front beside the fabric district on
Ottawa Street. Theatrix has one of the largest collections of costumes available in North
America, with over 50,000 professional-quality costumes and accessories from every century.
They are thrilled to offer music-inspired costumes to view.

Theatre Aquarius - 1991
Sunday, May 5 (9 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
Theatre Aquarius is a world-class theatre that has just become home to the National Centre for New
Musicals. The world premiere of Beautiful Scars by Tom Wilson will be taking place there
during April and May. Tours of the premises will happen every half hour.

Whitehern - 1848
Adaptive reuses: Residence, museum
Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m – 4 p.m.)
Whitehern Historic House and Garden is a mid-19th-century urban estate owned by the
McQuesten family for three generations. It was built in 1848 with a 1930s addition. The home
includes original family furnishings from the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian eras in the
context of Thomas B. McQuesten’s career in 1939. Today, it is a splendid museum with
beautiful gardens.

Mount Hope

Case United Church – 1894
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
The existing church is focused inward on worship while the contemporary outward focused
additions allow the church to connect to the community. The addition incorporates large expanses
of glass that allow for visibility inward and outward that is connected and related to the existing
church using simple cut stone panels in the facade that pick up the more elaborate existing stone
detail of the original church.


Ancaster Memorial Arts Centre – 1940
Adaptive reuses: School, performing arts centre
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Ancaster Memorial Arts Centre, located in the 1940s-era Ancaster Memorial School, is in the heart of the Ancaster Heritage Village. It includes the 454-seat Peller Hall, Voortman Studio Theatre, and multiple rooms for art, film, theatre, and dance. This state-of-the-art, vibrant arts centre serves as home to many of Ancaster's successful and popular community arts groups as well as providing a venue for the community to enjoy many professional performers and artists.

The Ancaster Memorial Arts Centre features the state-of-the-art Peller Hall. PHOTO: SUBMITTED

Fieldcote Memorial Park & Museum - 1948
Adaptive reuses: Residence, museum
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Fieldcote was built in 1948 as a private home on the outskirts of the former village of Ancaster.
Today, as the village expands, it serves as a cultural heritage centre with an emphasis on local
history and the promotion of fine arts. The idyllic setting is the perfect venue for music, with
beautiful, landscaped gardens and walking trails.

The Coach and Lantern - 1832
Saturday, May 4 (11:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (12 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
Ancaster is the third-oldest community in Ontario. The Coach and Lantern belongs to a cluster of
buildings that have been in continuous use since the late 1700s. This gorgeous stone building has
been used as a court of law, a hotel and a pub. Now a well known pub and centre of live music, it
is part of a thriving commercial block.

St. John's Anglican Church – 1869
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.) Recital 12:15 Saturday
St. John's Anglican Church is a Gothic Revival structure in a beautiful park setting. It is very
active with a thriving choir and community activities. The original wooden church burned in 1868,
replaced in 1869 by this local stone building that is noted for its red front doors, central square
tower, magnificent stained glass windows and interior, situated on 8.5 acres.

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian - 1875
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
Founded in 1826, St. Andrew's has been at the heart of the Ancaster Village for almost 200 years.
The stone Gothic Revival church was completed in 1875, the bell dates from 1835. There were
renovations in 1961 and 1990, then in 2018, the main entrance was redesigned and an
elevator was installed.

Tisdale House - Hamilton Police Historical Society and Museum - 1820
Adaptive reuses: Residential, museum
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Tisdale House was constructed by Samuel Tisdale, a local merchant, who ran a mercantile
business in the area beginning in 1816. It was originally located at 413 Wilson St. E. and moved
to 314 Wilson St. E. in 2000. The one-and-a-half storey Georgian residence retains a side-gable
roof, symmetrical facade, original multi-pane sash windows and original door with sidelights. It
is the oldest known dwelling of its type in the city of Hamilton. Tisdale House has been home to
the Hamilton Police Museum since 2012.


Carnegie Gallery – 1910
Adaptive reuse: Art gallery
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The beaux arts-style Carnegie Library in Dundas was built in 1910. When the Hamilton Public
Library stopped using the building, its future was uncertain. Taking advantage of the thriving
arts community, Dundas citizens formed the Carnegie Craft Carnival Committee to raise funds
for necessary building maintenance. The Carnegie Gallery was subsequently developed and has
been thriving for 40 years.

Dundas Museum and Archive – 1848
Adaptive reuses: Residence, museum
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Dundas Museum & Archives welcomes the public to tour the permanent galleries, the
historic c.1848 doctor's office and enjoy live music in the 1873 Pirie House. Opened in 1956,
the Dundas Museum is a private, non-profit museum that collects, interprets and celebrates the
unique identity of the Valley Town.

Hamilton City Ballet/Hamilton Academy of Performing Arts - 1842
Adaptive reuses: Church, school
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Hamilton City Ballet in Dundas is run in a building that has been constantly modified and added
to since 1842. On Saturday, May 4, Max Ratevosian will offer an open ballet & pointe class at
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Melania Pawliw will offer an open ballet & pointe class at 1 p.m. to
3 p.m. A Nutcracker exhibit will also be presented.

Shawn and Ed Brewery: The Shed - 1885
Adaptive reuses: Foundry, skating rink, brewing company and restaurant
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (11 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Music with $10.00 cover charge 12 p.m. - 2 p.m., Sunday, May 5
This 1885-86 building in the heart of historical Dundas has served as a foundry, indoor
skating/curling rink, bus depot, warehouse and, since 2016, the Shawn & Ed Brewing Company.
The wood post-and-beam/brick masonry structure has been preserved yet modernized with the
latest in craft beer equipment. The brewery focuses on German-style lagers with an emphasis on
quality and authenticity.

Stoney Creek

Battlefield Museum and Park - 1796
Adaptive reuses: Residence, museum
Sunday, May 5 (10 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
Battlefield House Museum, part of which dates to 1796, was once home to the prominent Gage
family. Learn about the stories of the people who built the house and the ongoing efforts to
preserve and restore it. Explore the Dunington Grubb landscape (which includes the impressive
Battlefield Monument) and hike around a 13.8-hectare (34-acre) patchwork of meadow and

Fox Theatre/ Stoney Creek Legion Branch 622 - 1952
Adaptive reuses: Theatre, Legion
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Fox Theatre in Stoney Creek opened on Oct. 20, 1952. It ran successfully until 1965,
then closed. In 1979 it was renovated and re-opened as the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 662,
Battlefield Branch. This clever adaptive reuse has transformed a lovely mid-century modern
theatre into community space used for for a wide variety of functions.

The Powerhouse - 1890
Adaptive reuses: Power Station, restaurant
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Powerhouse is the original Stoney Creek power station that provided power to the rail lines in
the 1890s and was intricately refurbished with historic tokens from all over Canada to become the
restaurant you see today. It is a brilliant example of adaptive reuse.

The Church of Our Saviour The Redeemer - 1877
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
This church, founded in 1876 as the Church of the Redeemer, was established in 2007 with the
amalgamation of the parishes of The Redeemer and the Church of Our Saviour (founded 1919).
See how the 1876 church expanded in 1952, view stained glass windows and learn the story
of the Dossal Tapestry.

United Church and Bell Tower Place - 1903
Adaptive reuses: Place of worship, multi-use community hub
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Bell Tower Place Community Hub and Stoney Creek United Church provides wonderful
examples of both Edwardian and Brutalist architecture. The site has recently been redeveloped
for community use and houses a renovated Masonic Lodge (former 1903 chapel) and private
school. A guided tour on Saturday morning (10 a.m.) will highlight this mixed-use facility
(by reservation),or join us on Sunday morning (9:30 a.m.) for worship and a musical treat!


25 Mill Street - 1856
Adaptive reuses: Town hall, commercial
Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
The East Flamborough Township Hall is a masterpiece of adaptive reuse. Almost all the original
features of the original Georgian building were restored while the interior was sensitively
reworked to provide comfortable office space for the legal and financial offices while displaying
the architectural features of the original building.

Birmingham Building - 1838
Adaptive reuses: Methodist Church, commercial
Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5 (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) Tours 2 p.m. Sunday
The Birmingham building is a typical stone Georgian Methodist Church with round-headed
windows, corner quoins, a central rose window and oversized eaves with paired cornice brackets.
It is part of a cluster of buildings in downtown Waterdown that is largely intact after almost 200
years. The building is currently home to the CBY Academy of Performing Arts and
Birmingham Consulting.

Grace Anglican Church - 1860
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (11:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
Situated in a park-like setting, Grace Anglican Church in Waterdown is known for many
things: the beautiful building, the surrounding cemetery, and its wide ranging charitable
works. Grace's sanctuary has been updated many times to include stained glass, an organ and
other details. The grand hall offers community functions, often including music. This idyllic
small-town community church thrives in Waterdown.

Knox Presbyterian - 1856
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (11:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
Following the Presbyterian tradition, the Knox in Waterdown is an important community hub
responding to the needs of the parish. The older Georgian Hall is used for food service, and
community gatherings. The Edwardian sanctuary is fitted out with a stage and a full set of
musical instruments that are played for the Sunday mass as well as other occasions.

Mill Street And 5 American House, Waterdown - 1824
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (12 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
American House is one of the longest running hotels in Ontario. Opening in 1824, it has changed
owners many times, but the integrity of the original design has been maintained. It contained the
last old-time stand up bar in Ontario and maintained the segregation of men and women up until
1966. This excellent restaurant celebrates 200 years this year.

Pickwick Books - The Huxley Building - 1860
Saturday, May 4 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) & Sunday, May 5 (12 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
The Huxley Building is a prominent property in the Waterdown Heritage District. Built in 1860,
it was a bank and later a bookstore. The facade has been renovated to provide a retail space on the
west side, and a picture window on the south facade. Most of the interior is original. It currently
houses Pickwick Books, a used book store.

St. James United Church - 1954
Place of worship
Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5 (10 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
St. James United Church is a 2SLGBTQ+ inclusive congregation serving Waterdown for nearly
250 years. It provides worship and community connection/support for homeless persons in
Hamilton and migrant workers in Flamborough; as well as space for local community groups,
including the Waterdown Muslim Community and Montessori School.

Walking tours

Locke Street BIA Walking Tour
Tour at 12 p.m., Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5
With more than 90 retail stores, professional services, cafés, and restaurants, Locke St. has
become a popular Hamilton destination for locals and visitors alike. A guided tour of Locke Street
will start at the library (285 Locke St. S. and continue up and down the street. Live music with
local musicians will be provided from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. daily.

Stoney Creek BIA Tour
Tour at 12 p.m. both days
Stoney Creek was first settled by United Empire Loyalists in 1786. It was the site of the Battle of
Stoney Creek in War of 1812, and the very first Women's Institute in Canada. There will be live
music from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. daily. The tour of Stoney Creek will start at the Legion at 12 p.m. both

Tour of Waterdown
11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. daily
Walking tours of Waterdown's Heritage District will start at the Mill St and 5 pub. Lead by local
historians, this tour will take you up Mill Street and back along the historic streets of Waterdown.
Most of the old stone structures are still intact, and the main street has been developed tastefully.

Westdale BIA Tour
Tour at 10 a.m. daily
Westdale Village is an example of the Garden City Movement of the early 20th century, with
small, individually owned homes radiating from a central business district. Our tour will start
at the Paisley Cafe, one of 80 shops, cafés, restaurants, and bakeries in Westdale.
Live music will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.

Tour of Ancaster
Sunday, May 4 at 10 a.m., Sunday, May 5 at 2:30 p.m.
Ancaster, founded in 1793, is the third-oldest town in the province. The restored mill, the Town
Hall, and the Coach and Lantern on Wilson Street are just some of the highlights. Located at the
intersection of ancient native trails and traversed by the earliest explorers,the history, the
characters, and background of Ancaster Village will be revealed by guide Bob Maton. Tours begin
at the Ancaster Mill.