Thank you for your interest in HAMILTON CITY Magazine. Your privacy is important to us and we believe in providing you full disclosure about the kinds of information we gather and what we do with it. We also want to give you a choice about the use of your personal information.
Hamilton City Magazine is an urban lifestyle magazine in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada owned and published by Hamilton City Publishing Inc. for Hamiltonians and visitors to explore and celebrate all things Hamilton. We create engaging content with professional contributors: our writers, photographers, videographers and illustrators. Hamilton City Publishing is a standing member of Magazines Canada.
Our website address is: www.HamiltonCityMagazine.ca
WHAT PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT AND WHY WE COLLECT IT.
Hamilton City Magazine collects personal information from clients where such information is required for the provision of a particular product or services, to manage our business, and comply with regulatory and industry requirements. More specifically, we use personal information to create and maintain client accounts, communicate with our clients, supply clients with our products or services, and provide them with information about existing or new products and services that we believe may be of value to them. We may also use information about client interests and preferences, as well as feedback we receive from surveys, to improve our products and customer service. Hamilton City Magazine makes all reasonable efforts to ensure that information is used responsibly and only for its intended purposes.
Information is collected through various means/applications and forms including credit applications, subscriptions, surveys, questionnaires, contests, face-to-face interactions, through our website, and other means
We are committed to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal information. This is the type of information you may have provided us specifically about who you are:
• Name, company name, mailing address, email address, phone number
• Demographic information such as age, gender, sex, education, occupation, income, etc.
• Your personal interests and preferences
• Transactional information such as the history of your purchases or how you signed up for our newsletters or other products
• Opinions of subscribers/readers or potential subscribers to our magazine.
We use your name and address (postal and/or email) in order to deliver the product, information or service you have requested or purchased, and to follow up with you about the transaction (i.e., send a renewal notice, invoice, etc.) as well as send you additional information about the publication, its offers, contests, or other products produced under its name. We use the information you provide us about others to enable us to send them gift subscriptions or products.
Your credit card number, debit card number, or banking information for pre-authorized payments is used only for processing payments and for presenting you with payment options, and not for marketing purposes. Hamilton City Magazine does not store your credit card numbers under any circumstances.
This type of information is obtained while you visit our website but it cannot personally identify you. This information includes:
• System Information — The type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows, Mac OS, Linux), the domain name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and the type of browser you are using (e.g., Safari, Explorer, Chrome, Firefox). Browser information (i.e., the URL of the web page you were just on, the IP address of the computer you are using and your domain type) is automatically recorded as part of transmitting information over the Internet. We may use it to help us display information in the best format for you.
• Statistical Reports — We may develop summary reports to help us and our advertisers better understand our audience and provide web content and advertisements that are more likely to be of interest to you. For example, we may report total number of visitors to our site in general or to specific pages or sections, the average length of visit, etc. No identifying data about individuals would be reported.
• “Clickstream” Data — During your visit to our sites, we may record choices you have made and use this to provide more customized content or advertising. The data does not identify you and is not retained after your visit. This is sometimes called “clickstream” data. If we do market research studies or polls in any area that will only be reported in aggregate, this will be indicated.
• Cookies — Similar to other commercial websites, our website utilizes a standard technology called “cookies” and web server logs to collect information about how our website is used. A cookie is a small text/data file we place in your browser’s files and often include an anonymous unique identifier. No one else can read this file. They are not harmful to your device, cannot compromise your personal information, and do not contain viruses, spyware or malware. They are used to track long-term browsing history and store data on the type of information view on our site — they allow our server to recognize you when you return to our site, so you don’t have to re-register and so we can retain any preferences you may have given us. If you do not wish to receive cookies, most browsers allow you to be alerted when a cookie is sent to your computer, so you can decide whether to accept it. Cookies are not required for the optimum use of our site. For more about cookies and how to disable them, visit http://allaboutcookies.org
Information gathered through cookies and web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our website, and the websites visited just before and just after our website. This information is collected on an aggregate basis. None of this information is associated with you as an individual. If you choose to correspond with us via e-mail, we may retain the content of your e-mail messages together with your e-mail address and our responses. We provide the same protections for these electronic communications that we employ in the maintenance of non-electronic information, such as that received by mail and telephone.
Information obtained through our websites is used for internal review, to improve the content of our webpages, and to customize the content and/or layout of our pages for each individual visitor; it is not shared with other organizations for commercial purposes.
EMBEDDED CONTENT FROM OTHER WEBSITES
We use Google Analytics to report on website traffic on our website, including factors such as session duration, pages per session, etc. To opt out of Google Analytics tracking, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH AND HOW LONG WE RETAIN IT
If you leave a comment on our site, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This occurs so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users who register on our website, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit or delete their personal information at any time; however, they cannot change their user name. Our website administrator can also see and edit that information.
Accuracy of Personal Information
Hamilton City Magazine will try to ensure that information about you is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. We may update the personal information in our records from time-to-time, where current information is required for the provision of a particular product or service. Please inform us of any change of name, address, or other information. Should you have questions about the accuracy of factual information we have collected about you, you will have access to that information to verify and update it. If we have disclosed inaccurate information about you to a third party, we will be pleased to contact the third party in order to correct the information.
YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you have established an account on this site, or have left comments at any time, you can request to receive and expanded file of the personal information we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we remove or erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal or security purposes.
If you have any questions about the collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information by Hamilton City Magazine, or if you simply want to know whether we have any of your personal information on file, you may contact our us by one of the methods outlined below. We will respond to your requests for access in accordance with applicable privacy legislation. In the event that we refuse access to you, we will provide you with the reasons for our refusal upon request. Exceptions may include information that contains references to other individuals, information that cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons, and information that is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege.
We make every reasonable effort to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control. Our security policy is periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary. Only authorized individuals have access to customer information. Where information is sent to a third party for processing, we make sure, through our contacts with them that all customer information is kept secure. We keep your information for the time we are providing you with a product or services, and for a reasonable time thereafter in the event that you may resume the service (e.g., subscription).
To access your personal information, inform us of changes you believe need to be made to that information, request that we investigate a concern you have about privacy issues or our personal information practices, or obtain further information about this Policy and the practices outlined herein, you may contact Hamilton City Magazine in any one of the following ways:
• Email: privacy@HamiltonCityMagazine.ca
• Mail: 270 Sherman Avenue North, Studio 301, Hamilton, Ontario L8L 6N4
• Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada oversees our personal information handling practices. If any privacy concerns are not addressed to your satisfaction, you may contact this office for further guidance.
Phone: 1-800-282-1376 or 613-995-8210